The Byron Society is pleased to announce that it is sponsoring a panel at the 2022 BARS/NASSR annual conference on the theme Byronic Modes of Rebellion, and providing bursaries of £250.00 each for three speakers.
Rebellion comes in a myriad of forms, from teenage angst and misanthropic brooding to political, sexual and religious forms of resistance.
From his carefully rumpled ‘poetic’ attire and sexual preferences, to his involvement with revolutionary groups in Italy and Greece, Byron was and remains an inherently rebellious figure.
The same is true of his poetry, with its daring new forms and highly contentious treatment of sexual, political and religious themes. The poetry of the early 1820s was steeped in rebellious impulses, from the provocative representations of Christianity in works such as Cain: A Mystery and subversive political polemics embedded in Sardanapalus and Don Juan VIII-IX, to the depictions of actual revolutions in the historic dramas.
A subversive figure in his own era, in the last fifty years Byron and the Byronic hero have become stock figures of defiance and resistance to established norms, from David Bowie’s persona of ‘screaming Lord Byron’ to the fictional superheroes Bruce Wayne and Tony Stark.
We are inviting proposals for this sponsored panel around the topic of Byronic modes of rebellion. In recognition of the overall focus of the conference, papers focusing on 20th and 21st century elements are preferred.
Topics could include:
- Moody and misanthropic Byronic heroes and heroines in the modern day
- Political, sexual and religious forms of rebellion in Byron’s poetry
- Nationalism, warfare, oppression and independence in Byron’s poetry
- Modes of rebellion and revolution embracing Byron’s legacies and receptions, not only in literature but more generally in popular culture, art and music
- Rebellion and revolution – Byron and Greece
- Deviancy and deviation
- Gender fluidity / free love
- Film/TV/music Byrons and Byronic figures
- Lotensin prices walmart
- How to get luzu without a doctor
- Verapamil online no prescription
- Prozac prices walmart
- Vfend for sale online
- How to buy cheap zestril online
- Clozaril online
- Can u buy tizanidine over the counter
- Get yasmin prescription
- Buy cialis online usa
Please send submissions to Dr Emily Paterson-Morgan, Director of The Byron Society, by 31st March 2022, email@example.com.