Byron Society Day Trip – Newstead Abbey & the Annesley Churches
29th of September
After the success of our last Newstead jaunt, we are organising another trip in 2018.
This will include visits to the Old and New Churches at Annesley, which were owned by the Chaworth family. An elder scion of this line was killed by the previous Lord Byron in an impromptu duel, and the young Mary Chaworth was one of Byron’s first loves.
We will also visit Newstead Abbey to enjoy lunch and by a talk by Dr Christine Kenyon-Jones, “Fact, fiction and entail: the cases of Byron and Jane Austen”.
- Train to Newark station, arriving around 11am
- A bus will collect us and take us to Newstead Abbey
- Coffee at 11.45am
- Talk by Dr Christine Kenyon Jones in the Abbey
- 1.00pm lunch in the Abbey
- Walk around the Abbey or grounds
- A guided tour of the Old Annesley Church and the New Annesley Church.
- A bus will take us back to Newark station, for a train at about 6pm.
The price of the day will be around £20, plus your individual travel expenses.
Please get in touch if you have any questions or want to book your place now.
Imagery: Photograph of Newstead Abbey by kind permission of the curator of Newstead Abbey.